You’ve been injured in a car accident and you’re reeling. You have a million things on your mind: the trauma of the event, your health, taking off work, how you’ll continue to care for your family, the bills that are sure to pile up. Should you call a lawyer? Isn’t that a little dramatic? Actually, no.
Calling a personal injury lawyer for a free consultation after a car accident is the smartest, most responsible move you can make. We here at McCormick & Murphy in Colorado provide you with the top five reasons to call an attorney after an accident — sooner rather than later — and why time is of the essence.
- Because of complex statutes of limitation and tort deadlines. Each state has them, and they vary by category. For many folks, procrastinating comes naturally. Procrastinate too long, though, and you might miss the window for filing a claim. An expert personal injury lawyer is well versed in these deadlines. If you call one right away, he or she will ensure that necessary information is collected and your claim is filed ASAP — long, long before that deadline.
- Because your memory doesn’t improve with time. A few things improve with time, we hear: cheese, fine wine, seasonal allergies. Your memory doesn’t. While it’s important to write down your recollection of the accident right away (ideally on this checklist), your account may be missing crucial details. A seasoned personal injury attorney can identify these holes. Wait too long to consult with one and you may not be able to answer his or her questions — at least not as clearly as you would have initially.
- Because you may get a larger settlement quicker. You may be tempted to handle the case yourself — maybe to save money. Doing so, however, is usually counterproductive. By trying to handle the claim on your own, you may complicate or lengthen the claim process, or even make a mistake that puts your claim in jeopardy. What’s more, a reputable personal injury attorney doesn’t charge upfront. He or she only gets paid if your case is won and can likely collect much more for you than you ever could. This makes contacting one a real investment.
- Because it’s free, so why wouldn’t you? Solid, experienced personal injury attorneys offer free case reviews and won’t charge you anything unless they recover for you. If you’re on the fence about contacting a law firm, a free consultation is your chance to hear from an expert whether or not representation would help your case — no strings attached, no commitment required. Free expert advice — why not?
- Because you’ll rest easier. You have a lot to worry about after the accident. Perhaps
you’re in pain, you can’t work and it’s difficult to play with your kids like you used to. Knowing that your claim is in good hands — that no stone will be left unturned, no box left unchecked — is sure to provide peace of mind, leaving you with the energy to recover. (Bonus: A personal injury lawyer will handle all communication with the insurance company, leaving you with extra time to recover, too.)
We know: You have a lot of complicated decisions ahead of you. Why not make the simple decision to call a personal injury lawyer and take a large chunk of work and stress off of your plate? Seems like a no-brainer, right?
If you were injured in a car accident, give us a call at 1-888-668-1182 or fill out this form for a free case review. We have more than 50 years of legal experience and have recovered millions of dollars for our clients since 1995. We’ll work with you and for you, giving you confidence that better days are ahead.