Motorcycle Accident Colorado Springs
Motorcycle accidents are notorious for their deadly consequences, which often result serious injuries, including spinal cord injuries, head trauma, and broken bones. While it is possible to recover damages compensating injured parties for their accident-related losses, doing so can be difficult, especially for those who are struggling to recover with severe injuries, so if you or a loved one were recently injured in a motorcycle accident in Colorado Springs, it is important to speak with an experienced attorney who can advise you.
Motorcycle Accident Causes
Most motorcycle accidents can be attributed to distracted driving, driving while intoxicated, or violating a traffic law. Specifically, however, most motorcycle collisions are the result of:
- Improper lane changes by drivers who don’t use their turn signals, change lanes without warning, or mistakenly drift into a neighboring lane;
- Distracted driving, which is most commonly cell phone use;
- A driver opening his or her vehicle’s door while parked on the side of the road and into the path of a motorcyclist;
- A driver’s failure to yield at an intersection, which can cause both broadside and head-on collisions;
- Failing to properly yield in an intersection, which can result in side-impact crashes or head-on collisions, both of which can be deadly for motorcyclists; and
- A government agency’s failure to properly maintain the roadways by repairing potholes and replacing broken asphalt.
Whether a person or entity can be held liable for a motorcycle accident depends on the specific circumstances of the case. For instance, a negligent driver who was texting while driving and caused an accident with a motorcyclist could be required to compensate the injured party for related losses. Alternatively, a city that designed a dangerous roadway or failed to repair a road defect could be held liable for a resulting collision.
Recovering Damages for Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Collisions between motorcyclists and motorists commonly result in serious injuries for the motorcyclist, some of whom suffer from:
- Compound bone fractures;
- Severe lacerations and amputations;
- Road rash;
- Facial fractures;
- Organ damage and internal bleeding;
- Spinal cord injuries; and
- Head trauma.
Treating these types of serious injuries is both painful and expensive, often requiring that injured parties pay for emergency transportation, diagnostic testing, surgery, hospitalization, physical therapy, and rehabilitation services. Fortunately, injured parties who can provide evidence of another person or entity’s negligence could be entitled to damages compensating them for:
- Past and future medical expenses;
- Lost wages;
- Loss of future income;
- Permanent disfigurement or scarring;
- Property damage;
- Emotional distress; and
- Pain and suffering.
Please contact our legal team to learn more about the types of damages an injured motorcyclist could recover from the at-fault party who caused his or her collision.
Colorado Springs Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
If you have questions about your legal options following a motorcycle accident, please call 719-301-2596 today and a member of our legal team will help you set up an initial consultation with one of the experienced lawyers at McCormick & Murphy P.C. today.