Colorado Springs Taxicab Accident Lawyers
Calling a taxi or texting for an Uber ride may be an incredibly convenient choice. Perhaps your vehicle is in the shop and you need a ride from the automotive shop to your home or place of work. Maybe you’re going out with friends, whatever the reason, there is no doubt that calling a cab or Uber is often the safest and most convenient way to get from point A to point B.
But taxis and Uber rides aren’t always safe and, just like other types of motor vehicles, taxi and Uber accidents happen. If you’re involved in a taxi accident in Colorado Springs, do you know what to do? At the law office of McCormick & Murphy, P.C., our Colorado Springs taxicab accident lawyers can help. Reach out to our law firm today to learn more about how.
Steps to Take After Being Involved in a Taxi Accident
Whether you are a passenger in a taxi and Uber at the time of the collision, the driver of another vehicle involved in a taxi accident, or a cyclist, motorcyclist, or pedestrian who is hit by a taxi driver, it’s important that you know what steps to take. By doing the following, you’ll help ensure that evidence and the crash are properly documented, protecting your right to file a claim and recover compensation for your injuries. Steps to take after being involved in a taxi accident include:
- Get all involved parties’ information. If you can or are able, get the information of all parties involved in the accident, including, most importantly, the taxi or Uber driver and the driver of the other vehicle involved. Write down drivers’ names, contact information, and vehicle information, including the name of the taxi company and the taxi or Uber driver’s license number.
- File a police report. It is strongly recommended that you call the police while you are at the scene of the accident – if the police arrive on scene, they will be able to record important details about the crash, including drawing a diagram of vehicles’ positions, conversations with eyewitnesses, and details about which driver is issued a citation. Not only is a police report an important source for evidence, but if you don’t file a report, it may be difficult to prove that your injuries are the result of a crash.
- Report the incident to the taxi company or to Uber. The taxi driver involved should report the accident to the taxi company or Uber, but you should follow up on this to make sure this is done. The company will need to document the accident and file notice with its insurer in order to begin the claims process.
- Take photos at the scene. If you are able to, try to take photos of the vehicle’s damage at the scene.
- Seek medical care. If you’ve been injured in a taxicab accident, then seeking medical care is one of the most important things that you should do. Injuries like concussions, for example, don’t always present symptoms immediately. Other injuries such as soft tissue injuries, may not be apparent until the next day or so.
- Tell your own insurer about the crash. Even though you may not be liable for the crash, it’s still important that you provide your own insurance company with a notice about the accident within a timely manner – preferably within 24-48 hours.
- Call a Colorado Springs Taxicab Accident Lawyer. While you may assume that you don’t need an attorney after being involved in a taxi accident, remember that taxi businesses are large companies that will surely have skilled attorneys working for them. Even the playing field and protect your best interests by hiring an attorney yourself.
Liability for a Taxi or Uber Crash in Colorado Springs
The fault for a taxicab or Uber accident and who will pay for any damages that you’ve suffered (i.e. who’s liable for the crash) will depend on a number of factors. Two important things to consider when thinking about liability for a crash in Colorado Springs are:
- Colorado is an at-fault car accident state, which means that whoever causes an accident through an act of fault or negligence is responsible for damages.
- Taxi companies are typically liable for the negligent actions of their employees (i.e. the taxicab drivers) based on the theory of vicarious liability. So, if the taxi driver’s negligent or unsafe actions were the cause of your crash, then the taxi company will probably be held liable for damages.
- Other factors to be investigated are whether the Taxi company or Uber negligently hired an unqualified driver.
In determining who will pay for your damages, the first step is determining who caused the accident. If you were a passenger in a taxicab or Uber that is involved in a crash with another driver and the other driver is found to be at fault, you can file an injury claim against that driver’s insurance. Similarly, if the driver of the cab was found to be at fault, you can pursue a claim against the taxi company.
If you were driving your own vehicle at the time of a crash with a taxicab, and you can prove that the driver of the taxi was to blame for the collision, you maintain the right to pursue damages against the taxicab company’s liability insurance.
If you were a pedestrian or cyclist hit by a taxi or Uber, again, filing a claim against the taxi company’s or Uber’s liability insurance (assuming the taxi or Uber driver was to blame for the crash) will be something that will need to be done.
Call Our Colorado Springs Taxicab Accident Lawyers Today
If you have been involved in a crash with a taxicab in Colorado Springs, our Colorado Springs taxicab accident attorneys at the law office of McCormick & Murphy, P.C. have the legal experience you can count on. Call us today at (888) 668-1182 for a free consultation and to learn more about our legal services.